Monday, October 8, 2007

Adventures in Babysitting

So, I meant to post this on Friday but I have been so busy all weekend, I forgot! So I wanted to post it now.

Thursday I met up with Chris Lindsey to Genesis. Chris and Vicki were going out of town to the Zoe Conference and with all the people going, they were running out of room to take Genna so they were leaving her home. They didn't have a sitter for Thursday into Friday, so Tim and I took her. I figured, this will be a piece of cake! No problem, Genna and Maddie will play and everything will be like normal...WRONG! But a good wrong.

Genna is teething, and I think she is to an age where she kind of realizes mommy and daddy are gone and so she feels a little insecure. Every time I would try and leave the room she would cry and crawl after me. I haven't had that in a very long time and I forgot what it was like. I didn't mind it because it wasn't like I really had anything to do, so I could pick her up, but I figured out right then that I was going to have to take a shower while she was napping!

Well, it came to nap time. I figured this would go pretty easy considering the girls had played pretty hard all afternoon, ate great lunches and they were both about to get a good dose of some Motorin to help with teeth (Maddie is also teething by the way). Wrong again! Maddie all of a sudden became very clingy to me and screamed every time I went to put her down, not to mention Genna is in the next room in the pack and play screaming because she hasn't been rocked yet! I started to loose my grasp on things! I started thinking to myself, "how do people have children this close in age to each other?!?" I finally just laid Maddie down in her bed and walked out. Surprisingly (not too surprisingly since we have really drilled into her head that you don't get out of bed) she stayed in her room so I could take care of Genna. Both girls went down after about 30 minutes of me going back and forth and took great naps! OK, time for me to rest...nope! Although, I did lay down to rest and lost track of time and got into the shower 15 minutes before I was supposed to be leaving to go teach my class. Completely wasn't thinking and realized when I was in the shower that I was supposed to be leaving and still had 2 babies to get up and out the door! AHHHHH!

Well, we got there on time, I taught my class and we went home. Thursday night was pretty low key. I gave the girls a bath and that was fun (picture later). Although, Maddie thought it would be fun to dump water on Genna's head, Genna didn't think that was so funny! Oh, but Maddie did think she was Genna's mother all night. Maddie got done with dinner before Genna and Maddie kept saying "Genna all done" and kept pulling her hand like "Get down here now!" She also kept putting her paci in, walking everywhere Genna went and guiding her back and always handing her her sippy cup!

Friday brought another crazy run around! I got up to exercise and again, lost track of time and still had to shower and get 2 babies dressed and out the door to go to Kindermusik. This time though I had to make sure Genna was packed up and that the pack and play was packed up so I had it for Maddie's nap Friday afternoon. CRAZINESS!!! We got to class and both girls participated and had a lot of fun!

In all the craziness and running around and crying...I realized that I loved it! I have that baby itch! I think I am definitely glad we waited though. I think Maddie needed to be to this age and we've had this time with her to help her grow. I also think it will be good that her and this next baby (no not prego yet!) will be almost 3 years apart! I need to work on Maddie's jealousy streak. I was glad to have Genna not only for Maddie and Genna to have that time together (they really were cute with each other...Maddie LOVED having her here!) but it gave me the opportunity to work with Maddie on the fact she doesn't need me for everything! Thanks Chris and Vicki for that time!

2 comments:

Dan and Kate plus Nate said...

WOW! What a crazy two days! Glad you made it through!!

Kara Graves said...

haha, I just get the giggles imaginging the chaos that you were describing! how fun though to have the two most precious little girls at one time!